The Oxford University – AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine preliminaries trial has begun at Mumbai’s KEM and Nair Hospitals. The vaccine has been named as Covishield, and its scientific name is chAdOx1 nCoV-19.
Let’s check out the details on the trial’s nature and the selection criteria:
- Phase II/III trial’s purpose
- To see if the vaccine made from the weakened virus that causes the common cold in chimps can protect from COVID.
- The tech, developed at Oxford’s Jenner Institute, has been used to make vaccines against flu, Zika and MERS.
- The Serum Institute of India, Pune will be conducting the trial in which a total of 17 institutions in India will participate.
- The size of the sample would be 1,600 people – 400 for immune response study and 1,200 to gauge safety.
2. Who can participate?
- People between the ages of 18 to 99 years are eligible to participate; including both male and female.
- The participant should be a healthy adult as determined by medical history. Informed consent a must.
- S/he must be a resident of the study area for ease of sample collection, visits.
- Women of childbearing potential must have a negative pregnancy test within 24 hours before vaccine administration.
3. Who cannot participate?
- Person with acute illness; with or without fever at the time of vaccine administration or with history of lab-confirmed Covid-19 in household or work contact.
- The person developed antibodies for SARS-CoV-2 with the history of severe allergic reactions after previous vaccinations.
- The person has confirmed or suspected condition with impaired/ altered function of the immune system.
4. Where to contact
- Mumbai – King Edward Memorial Hospital (022-24133767, 24174420); BYL Nair Hospital (022-23027644, 45 (direct))
- Pune – BJ Medical College Bharati Vidyapeeth, Jehangir Hospital
- Wardha – Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
- Nagpur – Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Science
Credits: TOI app (Note: only a few things including the title(s) have changed, rest of the content is the same as mentioned in the official TOI app/News).